The Unified Dispatching Office of power systems of Kazakhstan was established based on Resolution No. 224 dated 15 April 1969 of the Council of Ministers of the Kazakh Soviet Socialist Republic, and thereafter it underwent the following transformations:
- by order No. 99 dated 1 September 1997 of KazakhstanEnergo Republican State Enterprise, it was transformed into a branch of KEGOC OJSC: the Central Dispatch Administration of the Unified Power System (CDA UPS) of Kazakhstan;
- by order No. 259 from 19 May 2000 of KEGOC OJSC , the branch of the Kazakhstan CDA UPS was transformed into the Centralized Dispatch Control Department of KEGOC;
- by order No. 83 dated 1 March 2001 of KEGOC OJSC, it was then transformed to KEGOC’s branch called the Central office of Central Dispatch Administration of the Unified Power System of Kazakhstan (Kazakhstan CO CDA UPS);
- by decision of KEGOC Board of Directors No. 3 dated 1 January 2004, it was renamed to the National Dispatch Centre of the System Operator (NDC SO), certificate of re-registration of branch No. 1948–1910-Ф-лот dated 28 December 2004.
By order of KEGOC No. 703 dated 14 November 2005, NDC SO was relocated from Almaty to Astana; the relocation took place from 15 December 2005 to 25 January 2006.
Head of the branch: Yeraly Shinasilov.
Number of staff: 94 employees
NDC SO has nine regional dispatch centres (RDC) in direct operational control:
1. Akmolinskiy RDC (Astana)
2. Aktyubinskiy RDC (Aktobe)
3. Almatinskiy RDC (Almaty)
4. Vostochny RDC (Ust-Kamenogorsk)
5. Zapadny RDC (Atyrau)
6. Kostanaiskiy RDC (Kostanai)
7. Severny RDC (Ekibastuz)
8. Tsentralny RDC (Karaganda)
9. Yuzhny RDC (Shymkent)
The NDC SO shall:
• Ensure reliable operation of the Unified Energy System of Kazakhstan;
• Ensure parallel operation of the Unified Energy System of Kazakhstan with power systems of the neighbouring states;
• Ensure electricity quality in accordance with the standards.
The activity of National Dispatch Centre of the System Operator includes:
• Exercise centralised operational dispatch control of electricity generation, transmission and consumption in the Unified Energy System of Kazakhstan;
• Control interstate power flow exchange;
• Prevent, confine and eliminate disturbances in the Unified Energy System of Kazakhstan;
• Control of the capacity reserves in the Unified Energy System of Kazakhstan;
• Determine the structure, philosophy, locations, volumes and settings of relay protection systems to ensure secure and stable operation of the Unified Energy System of Kazakhstan.
• Maintain 24/7 operational dispatch control of the Unified Energy System of Kazakhstan;
• Follow the daily operation schedules of wholesale energy market entities;
• Complete settlement of electricity physical imbalances in the Unified Energy System of Kazakhstan of actual vs. contractual electricity generation and consumption by the wholesale market participants;
• Prevent, confine and eliminate disturbances in the Unified Energy System of Kazakhstan;
• Ensure electricity energy quality in accordance with the standards.
• Exercise operational control of the capacity reserves in the Unified Energy System of Kazakhstan;
• Maintain secure configuration of Kazakhstan UPS; control the current configuration of lines and power facilities managed by NDC SO dispatcher;
• Satisfy the requests of putting the equipment and transmission lines out of operation to repair and putting them back into operation;
• Continuously improve the effectiveness of the Information Management System (IMS) as concerned the Service's activity.
• Continuously control the operations in Kazakhstan UPS through 24/7 availability of dispatch personnel in the control room of NDC SO;
• Develop training materials to meet the Service's objectives;
• Analyse UPS operations of the past day on daily basis;
• Conduct emergency trainings in accordance with the guidelines;
• Develop or approve the forms of the dispatch documentation;
• Monitor compliance of operational configuration of substations and networks;
• Participate in development of operational dispatch tasks;
• Collect real-time data on disturbances and participate in investigation of major accidents and in development of emergency prevention activities thereon;
• Participate in review of the requests of putting the equipment and transmission lines out of operation to repair and putting them back into operation with subsequent satisfaction thereof;
• Prepare daily report documentation about status of UPS of Kazakhstan for the past day;
• Take required actions in the prescribed manner with respect to the wholesale market participants, who do not fulfil their contractual obligations.
Balance and Shot-Term Planning Service
• Manage planning of supply and consumption of electricity and capacity in the decentralised, centralised and balancing electricity markets of Kazakhstan;
• Manage accounting and monitoring of contractual obligations of participants to the Kazakhstan energy markets;
• Manage accounting of electricity imbalances of Kazakhstan energy market participants;
• Participate in development of methods, algorithms and management of implementation of software system for planning of daily schedules and preparation of electricity generation and consumption balances in the wholesale market.
• Prepare daily schedules of generation, transmission, supply and consumption of electricity by Kazakhstan energy market participants;
• Manage accounting of data on electricity produced, supplied and consumed by Kazakhstan energy market participants;
• Manage accounting of fulfilment of contractual obligations by Kazakhstan energy market participants;
• Manage accounting of the results of physical imbalances settlement;
• Prepare electricity supply and consumption actual balances in the decentralised, centralised and balancing electricity markets of Kazakhstan;
• Prepare reporting information on interstate power flows;
• Collect, approve and process the information to create contracts database in the decentralised, centralised and balancing electricity markets of Kazakhstan (contracts of electricity purchase and sale, transmission, regulation, and balancing);
• Participate in development of Kazakhstan power industry future development programmes
Automated Relay Protection and Automation Service
• Provide technical operational guidance for operation, implementation of the new and upgrade of the existing relay protection and emergency automation devices.
• Equip the interconnection and backbone transmission lines, bus bars and coupling autotransformers under operational control or supervision of NDC SO with relay protection and emergency automation equipment;
• Coordinate consistency of technical policy during rehabilitation of relay protection and emergency automation equipment of UPS of Kazakhstan.
• Develop and implement actions associated with relay protection and automation devices of transmission lines and electrical equipment to improve reliability of Kazakhstan UPS;
• Calculate currents and voltages of short-circuit and other contingencies; determine the philosophy, types, and places for relay protection devices; develop structure or circuit diagrams; determine conditions of selectivity and sensitivity; calculate settings and characteristics of this units and communicate them to respective relay protective units of MES branches and monitor their compliance;
• Approve schemes, settings and characteristics of relay protection devices;
• Prepare instructions and operational directives on maintenance of relay protection and emergency automation devices;
• Participate in development and implementation of new types of relay protection devices;
• Approve technical programmes, work stages and acceptance of scientific researches, funded by KEGOC;
• Organize and participate in laboratory, site and system testing; arrange maintenance of the new and rehabilitated relay protection devices;
• Participate in decision-making by NDC SO regarding configuration and operation states of UPS;
• Participate the operation of commission called to investigate the emergencies and contingencies of the normal UPS operation; Take expeditious actions to eliminate causes of unwanted operation of RPA devices;
• Generalize the best practices in operation and implementation of the new relay protection devices in UPS; organize workshops, meetings and other events to share best practices of best relay protection services in MES branches.
Grid State Service
• Develop operation state requirements for stability of 220-500-1150 kV networks of Kazakhstan UPS in normal and repair configuration.
• Develop the operation philosophy and settings for emergency automation, frequency load shedding equipment of Kazakhstan UPS.
• Develop instructions to control frequency, power flow control, voltage and parallel operation state of 220-500 kV network.
• Monitor the operation state of Kazakhstan UPS for permissible power flows, frequency, voltage and the compliance of emergency automation units to the current state and network configuration.
• Plan and prepare the scheduled repairs of the primary equipment.
• Monitor availability of the primary equipment under operational control and supervision of NDC SO;
• Design the repair states for 220-500-1150 kV network elements and relay protection and emergency automation units of Kazakhstan UPS.
• Design the operation states for normal and repair configuration of Kazakhstan UPS.
• Design static and dynamic stability conditions of Kazakhstan UPS.
• Select permissible power flows in 220-500-1150 kV network of Kazakhstan UPS for normal and repair configurations.
• Design the actions to control voltage in 220-500-1150 kV network in normal and repair configurations of Kazakhstan UPS.
• Design philosophy and settings of emergency automation and frequency load shedding units.
• Calculate settings for emergency automation devices.
• Develop voltage chart of Kazakhstan UPS.
• Optimize the grid operations states with regard to reactive power in 220-500-1150 kV networks of Kazakhstan UPS. • Design the actions to reduce active power and electricity losses.
• Make check measurement of load flow and voltage levels in 220-500-1150 kV network of Kazakhstan UPS, and capacity controlled by frequency load shedding and special load shedding automatics.
• Manage the design process for connection of consumers to special load shedding automatics and generators to power station unloading automatics.
• Calculate regulated power for frequency regulation services payment.
• Set the impact amount and settings of frequency load shedding and frequency autoreclosure devices in powers systems. • Compile summary reporting materials on frequency load shedding, monitor the amount of its operation impact, and monitor adequacy and effectiveness of load shedding.
• Design the actions to reduce inadmissible voltage in 220-500-1150 kV network in normal and repair configurations of Kazakhstan UPS.
• Participate in investigation of intersystem accidents and develop emergency prevention actions.
• Develop, approve with the adjacent power systems, and follow up compliance with the operating conditions of the annual and monthly repairs schedules for overhead transmission lines and electrical facilities.
Energy Operation Modes Service
• Forecast annual and monthly power and electricity balances.
• Monitor the state of Kazakhstan UPS operation and industry-wide technical and economic performance, and monitor the condition of Kazakhstan generating equipment fleet.
• Plan and design conditions required for the scheduled repair works on heat and hydro-electric equipment of Kazakhstan power stations.
• Monitor the availability of primary heat and hydro-electric equipment of power stations under operational control and supervision of NDC SO;
• Monitor the compliance of the water-economy balances of water storages and operation modes of the Unified Power System of Kazakhstan; the adherence to water discharge and vegetation modes of HPP operation; the rational use of national and cross-border water streams.
• Analyze monthly peak loads in power regions, grid zones and the country showing separately the generating sources of national significance.
• Develop annual capacity and electricity balances for typical periods (annual maximum, summer maximum, flood period, beginning and ending of heating period).
• Prepare data on availability of fuel at Kazakhstan power plants.
• Develop annual schedule of overhauls and extended repairs of primary hydro-electric equipment of power stations, and follow up thereof.
• Collect and prepare data on installed and available capacity, monitor commissioning of the new, relabeling of the existing and dismantling of the outdated equipment at Kazakhstan power plants.
• Monitor HPP operation and hydrometeorological situation.
• Plan and monitor works in hydro power sector, and coordinate them with water resources management bodies and NDC SO.
• Monitor special operation modes of HPP: floods, environmental discharge, vegetation, settlement and break of ice, emergency operation of HPP.
• Keep accounts of technical and economic indicators of HPP operation; evaluate the use efficiency of hydraulic resources of the national and cross-border water streams.
Automated Dispatch Control System Service
• Maintain and develop real-time operational dispatch management systems (OIS and SCADA) of Kazakhstan UPS;
• Develop and implement operational information and management systems in NDC SO;
• Monitor operation of the operational dispatch management system (communication, remote control);
• Continuous monitoring of OIS and SCADA data bases;
• Make prompt changes in OIS and SCADA data bases;
• Make prompt changes in OIS and SCADA graphic diagrams;
• Monitor availability and reliability of telemetry data in OIS and SCADA;
• Adjust and monitor telemetry data retransmission into power systems of neighbouring countries.
• Continuously monitor operability of dispatch and technology software; timely eliminate the faults;
• Monitor operation of the servers that run dispatch and technology software; timely eliminate the faults;
• Administer dispatch and technology tasks data bases;
• Develop and implement system and technology software in accordance with issued terms of reference.
Active-Adaptive Systems Service
1. Ensure operation of the active-adaptive system according to actual topological and operational situation in Kazakhstan UPS within the competence of the Service.
2. Consider project and research materials on the development of Kazakhstan UPS within the competence of the Service.
1. The development and improvement of the principals of the parametric adjustment of the active-adaptive systems:
• The centralized emergency control system for Kazakhstan UPS;
• Wide Area Measurement System (WAMS);
• Automatic frequency and power control system for Kazakhstan UPS;
2. Calculation of control amounts at Kazakhstan UPS power plants connected to automatic frequency and power control system;
3. Estimation of future states of Kazakhstan UPS with regard to 500-220 kV network controlled by NDC SO;
4. Participation in the development and implementation of new methods and programs of the calculation of steady states and sustainability;
5. Participation in investigation of intersystem accidents and develop emergency actions.